Attorney Profile for Grace R. Alano
My practice is devoted to immigration and visa services, including applications for permanent residence and preparation of all temporary visa petitions, applications for naturalization, and providing strategic planning advice. I have been certified as a Legal Specialist in Immigration and Nationality Law by the Board of Legal Specialization of the State Bar of California. I represent clients before the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, U.S. Customs and Border Protection, the Immigration Court, the Board of Immigration Appeals, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, U.S. Department of State, and the U.S. Department of Labor. My practice also includes removal defense, applications for political asylum, and administrative appeals.
I have been practicing law since 2000. Since then, I have solely practiced U.S. Immigration and Nationality Law. During law school, I externed with the Honorable Carlos R. Moreno, United States District Court, Central District, California. As a law student, I was awarded a Public Interest Law Foundation Grant and worked in the area of family law. I previously worked at a well-respected boutique immigration law firm and at a large, corporate immigration law firm which is recognized as a leader in the industry.
Additionally, I am active in the San Francisco community. I sit on the Board of Directors of Barangay Dance Company and served on the Advisory Board of Oasis for Girls, a project of the Tides Center. I was also a member of the SFCASA Guild, which advocates for the city’s children in foster care. I provide pro bono legal services through the Volunteer Immigration Program of the San Francisco Bar Association and the AIDS Legal Referral Panel.
Originally from Los Angeles, I have lived in San Francisco for over a decade. I am married to Dr. Conrad Alano, Associate Professor of Neurology at UCSF/the VA Medical Center, and we have a daughter. More about me.
- California, 2000
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- Certified as a Legal Specialist in Immigration and Nationality Law by the Board of Legal Specialization of the State Bar of California
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association
- Barangay Dance Company, Board of Directors, 2011 – Present
- San Francisco Success Squad, 2012 – Present
- Oasis for Girls, a project of the Tides Center, Advisory Board Member, 2009 – 2011
- SFCASA Guild Member, 2010
Honors and Awards
- Public Interest Law Foundation Grant
- “Hero Award” – AIDS Legal Referral Panel, 2010
- Volunteer Recognition Award – AIDS Legal Referral Panel, 2012
Pro Bono Activities
- Volunteer Immigration Program (V.I.P.), Bar Association of San Francisco, Volunteer Attorney, 2007 – Present
- AIDS Legal Referral Panel, Panel Attorney, 2009 – Present
- Southwestern Law School, Los Angeles, California, 2000 J.D. Honors: Externship, United States District Court, Central District, California
- Universidad de Belgrano, Facultad de Derecho, Buenos Aires, Argentina, 1998 Comparative Law Program
- University of California, Berkeley, 1995 B.A., English
- “Practice Tips on Preparing and Strengthening Waiver Applications,” Bar Association of San Francisco, Immigration Law Section of the Barristers Club (April 2011)
- “Introduction to Immigration Law”, AIDS Legal Referral Panel (May 2011)
San Francisco Immigration Attorney Grace R. Alano