Grace R. Alano
My practice is devoted to immigration and visa services, including applications for permanent residence and preparation of all temporary visa petitions, applications for naturalization, applications for political asylum and U visas, and providing strategic planning advice.
I have been certified as a Legal Specialist in Immigration and Nationality Law by the Board of Legal Specialization of the State Bar of California. I represent clients before the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, U.S. Customs and Border Protection, the Immigration Court, the Board of Immigration Appeals, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, U.S. Department of State, and the U.S. Department of Labor.
I have been practicing law since 2000. Since then, I have solely practiced U.S. Immigration and Nationality Law. During law school, I externed with the Honorable Carlos R. Moreno, United States District Court, Central District, California. I previously worked at a boutique immigration law firm and at a large, corporate immigration law firm.
Additionally, I am active in the immigration law field as well as the local San Francisco community through teaching and my work on various boards. I also provide pro bono legal services through the Volunteer Immigration Program of the San Francisco Bar Association and the AIDS Legal Referral Panel. Originally from Los Angeles, I am now a longtime resident of San Francisco. I am married and have a daughter. More about me.
- California, 2000
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- Certified as a Legal Specialist in Immigration and Nationality Law by the Board of Legal Specialization of the State Bar of California
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA)
- State Bar of California, Immigration & Nationality Law Advisory Commission, 2014 – Present
- AILA NorCal Practice Management Coordinator, 2016-Present
- AILA NorCal Advisory Council, 2016-Present
- AILA NorCal Asylum Co-Liaison, 2014 – 2015
- Barangay Dance Company, Board of Directors, 2011 – Present
- San Francisco Success Squad, 2012 – 2013
- Oasis for Girls, a project of the Tides Center, Advisory Board Member, 2009 – 2011
- SFCASA Guild Member, 2010
Honors and Awards
- Public Interest Law Foundation Grant
- “Hero Award” – AIDS Legal Referral Panel, 2010
- Volunteer Recognition Award – AIDS Legal Referral Panel, 2012
- Adjunct Professor, San Francisco Law School, 2013 – 2014. Course: Immigration Law
Pro Bono Activities
- Volunteer Immigration Program (V.I.P.), Bar Association of San Francisco, Volunteer Attorney, 2007 – Present
- AIDS Legal Referral Panel, Panel Attorney, 2009 – Present
- Southwestern Law School, Los Angeles, California, 2000 J.D. Honors: Externship, United States District Court, Central District, California
- Universidad de Belgrano, Facultad de Derecho, Buenos Aires, Argentina, 1998 Comparative Law Program
- University of California, Berkeley, 1995 B.A., English
- “Practice Tips on Preparing and Strengthening Waiver Applications,” Bar Association of San Francisco, Immigration Law Section of the Barristers Club (April 2011)
- “Introduction to Immigration Law”, AIDS Legal Referral Panel (May 2011)